Monday, August 12, 2013

let's talk about me! {teacher week '13} and some crafty fun!

I hinted on Friday that I had completed one thing off my to do list last week--and I promised I would share it today!  If you recall from one of my entries from the beginning of the summer (oh, it seems so long ago!), I took pictures on the last day of school of my kiddos with this oh so fancy (cardboard) picture frame.  While I had been planning all last summer to make something lovely for this purpose, I threw this frame together during before school care on the first day of school (yikes).  With the kiddos in the frame (and not me) it was totally cute...  but the cardboard was not holding up at the end of the year, so I trashed it.


I needed something fantastic for this school year.  I was pleased to find that we had some leftover wood from when Mark built my desk shelves, and combining that scrap wood with some craft paints I already had on hand...  I created something that I am super excited to use in my classroom a lot this year.  And not just for pictures either!


I painted the board with four coats of chalkboard paint--I used a couple folded up paper towels because I couldn't find my sponge brushes in my disaster of an office.  After that was dry, I painted the white frame (another two coats).  When that was dry, I added the turquoise circle dots (free handed them...  beyond trying to make it perfect!)...  more drying time... and I outlined them with the black permanent marker.


The last thing I needed to do was prep the chalkboard paint to be written on--I rubbed a piece of chalk all over the chalkboard paint and wiped it off.  Then, I wrote my message to get ready for the first day of school!  Ta-Da!


As if my Liebster Award post last week wasn't enough about me, I am also super pumped to join the Blog Hoppin' Teacher Week 2013 and today's topic is "Let's Talk About Me!"  While most teachers are posting a list of ten things about them...  I pretty much exhausted that last week.  So instead, I'm sharing with you the letter I mail to my kiddos over the summer to get them excited about first grade (and if you want to read my random fact list, go check out this post).


No comments:

Post a Comment