Thursday, August 8, 2013

i just feel so gosh darn special.

How excited was I to discover a comment from Melissa over at See Bean Teach had nominated me for the Liebster Award.  The Liebster Award is for new, up and comers in the blogging world--blogs with fewer than 200 followers.  At fifteen, I surely fit that bill!  Upon further researching, "Liebster" is German for "dearest"--so someone must like my blog at least a little bit for me to get this!  Anyway.  The rules to accept this award are as follows:



1. Link back to the person who nominated you.
2. Answer the questions from your nominator.
3. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
4. Nominate 5 more blogs with less than 200 followers.
5. Pose questions for your nominees.

I'm a sucker for random facts.  My apologies if this gets to be rather long winded.

| ONE |
The lovely Melissa from See Bean Teach nominated me for the award.

| TWO |
1. If you could change one thing about your school, what would it be?
I love my school.  Like, really love it.  It's hard for me to think of things that I would actually want to change.  For one, the ceilings in our classrooms are this awful popcorn textured plaster stuff that is probably quite old--there's holes in it in places, and it just looks really bad.  We can't really hang things from the ceilings, so I can't even try to direct attention away from it.  I also wish I had air conditioning in my classroom.

2. How/when did you decided to be a teacher?
Both of my parents are teachers.  I started playing school even before I had gone to school.  I think I "officially" decided in first grade that I would be a first grade teacher when I grew up.  My first grade teacher was spectacular.  She taught us sign language, was always singing, and showed us the most perfect way of coloring with markers.  I thought she was amazing, and probably wanted to be just like her.

3. What is your favorite pinspired project/recipe?
My favorite "pinspired project" that I have been working on isn't finished--my office area.  I've been pinning things for the past couple years for what I wanted for my "dream" office space, and we're currently working on that.  Check out my Office/Guest Room pinboard to see what I'm picturing.

4. How did you come up with your blog name?
I didn't want a name for the blog that screamed "Home Blog!!!" or "Teacher Blog!!!" or "Craft Blog!!!" or "Nutcase Writes Stuff Here!!!" so I went for something simple.  I know that the blog is going to be about what ever I'm doing...  whether that is things for first grade, organizing the closet again, baking Christmas cookies or going to Disney World again, I know I can write about those things because all my blog name tells you is who is writing.

5. What was your favorite summer job?
I worked as an Aerie Girl the entire time I was in college.  Looking back on that...  I actually really enjoyed working retail!  The Aerie I worked at was connected to an American Eagle, so when I was tired of pushing bras and undies (or organizing an undie table), I could always float over and fold denim or do a little browsing.  The discount didn't hurt, either!

6. How do you drink your coffee?
I drink my almond milk and sugar with a little coffee.  Or I get a peppermint mocha (hot or iced) at Starbucks.

7. What is your favorite children's book?
Oh, goodness--children's literature is my soft spot.  My mom has her masters in library science, and she really, really developed a love of books in me and both of my sisters.  I love the Arthur series by Marc Brown, Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, anything by Dr. Seuss...  especially Horton Hears a Who! and Horton Hatches the Egg!  I'm probably forgetting something terribly dear to me as well.

8. Where do you like to buy "teacher clothes"?
Target, Old Navy, Kohl's...  I'll head to the Banana Republic, J. Crew and Gap Outlets a couple times a year to see what I can find.

9. How far do you commute to school?
Only about twenty minutes.  I used to drive an hour and a half both ways to my old school (that was NUTS).

10. What's been your favorite linky party so far?
Probably Doodle Bugs Teaching Five for Friday.  Something so nice about being able to blab about five random things on Friday and have other people join you!

11. Do you bring home work on the weekends?
I try not to, but it almost always happens.  I'm hoping I can be better this year.

| THREE |
1. I have been to Disney World six times...  but the first time was when I was 15.
2. I need 7.5 hours of sleep every night to fully function well.  Six to seven hours will have me functioning.
3. I have been a vegetarian since the 7th grade.
4. Really sweet iced tea (with any combination of flavoring) is my biggest weakness in the summer.
5. My youngest sister is a food blogging pharmacy student.  The rest of us are teachers.
6. I listen to Christmas music when Mark isn't home in November.  And July.  And March.  Confession:  Year round.
7. I tutored a sweet little brother and sister in math when I was in college and cried on my last day when I had to quit to student teach.
8. I love organize things--but it takes me a really long time to get it just the way I want it.
9. The old Herbal Essences Shampoo coming back was one of my highlights of 2013.
10. My dog, Scooter, tries to protect me from things he is scared of--loud water, thunder and tall, skinny men.
11. I love chocolate.  Like, looooove chocolate.

| FOUR |
I nominate:
| FIVE |
Questions for you:
1. Who was your favorite teacher?
2. Why did you start blogging?
3. Do you have any pets?
4. What is your favorite cleaning product?
5. Where is your favorite vacation spot?
6. What is your favorite holiday to celebrate at school?
7. Which subject is your favorite to teach and why?
8. If you weren't a teacher, what would you be doing?
9. What is your favorite kind of cookie?
10. What is your favorite school supply?
11. How far do you commute to school?

5 comments:

  1. Aww, thank you so much for the nomination! :D I will get to work on my post... :)

    It's fun to learn all these things about each other. Lots of us have so much in common! I drink my coffee the same way... and CHRISTMAS MUSIC, yes! But it drives hubby crazy too! lol :)

    Lindsey at Forever First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm looking forward to reading all about you!

      I wonder how many "crazies" who like Christmas music like us there are in the world... :)

      Delete
  2. I like my coffee almost the same. Instead of almond milk I opt for sugar free french vanilla creamer OR my favorite, peppermint when the season is right.

    Love your cute little blog!

    Adelle
    primaryjungle,blogspot,com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh. Peppermint. My husband likes to surprise me in the wintertime by making me hot chocolate and dumping some (maybe a lot) of peppermint creamer in my hot chocolate.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I wanted to become a teacher because of my 1st grade teacher too, how neat! This will be my first year in 1st and I'm super excited!

    ReplyDelete