Saturday, July 20, 2013

it all started with a mouse.


I may have disappeared for a bit there--Mark and I enjoyed a wonderful vacation down in Walt Disney World!  We had a fantastic time--but of course, a Disney vacation isn't much of a relaxing time away.  A Disney trip is more of a grand, fast-paced adventure!  We spent six days in Orlando, arriving around 8:30 a.m. on Thursday and leaving the parks around 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday.

This was our third trip to Disney together (we went there on our honeymoon and then again last summer to celebrate our first wedding anniversary), and we always start our trip by going to the Magic Kingdom.  To me, there is no better way to start your trip than walking down Main Street and catching that first glimpse of Cinderella's castle.


While there has been some "controversy" over Disney's decision to open a Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom, after getting up at three a.m. to make it to the airport for our flight, I was super excited to get a Peppermint Mocha Frappucino there.  I was even more excited after I found out that I could get it as one of my snacks on the meal plan, any size with any extra add-ins I wanted.  We ended up stopping by the bakery a few times over our stay, and only one time did I really splurge and get a venti frap--that was the worst idea ever!  I couldn't even finish it.


When we go to Disney, we also take advantage of the park hopper pass.  I do not like being tied to one park for the day, and we often switch parks after a few hours if we decide it is too crowded.  On Friday, we split our time between Disney's Hollywood Studios and Epcot.  While we were at Hollywood Studios, we met up with a couple of friends from college (who don't live that far away, but we hadn't seen them since our wedding!) and enjoyed a few attractions with them and caught up over lunch.  It was such a blast to see Brad and Emily in Disney--I hope we can do that again (and visit at home, as well).


We then headed over to Epcot for dinner and to enjoy the nighttime show there.  I love Disney's nighttime shows.  I have seen them all at this point at least a couple times, but they are so stinkin' magical every single time you see them.


After Epcot closed, we rushed back to the Magic Kingdom--just to ride Big Thunder Mountain.  We ended up being able to ride that, Splash Mountain and Space Mountain in the forty five minutes we had before the park closed.  It was great!

We also met up with my best friend since kindergarten, Ashley, her husband, Eric, and another good friend since kindergarten, Benjamin, and split our time with them between Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom.  Ten years ago, I shared my first Disney trip with Ashley, and it is always wonderful to share another Disney experience with her!  One of Mark's favorite things about our trip was being That Guy at the Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor.  I will testify that they were not completely joking when the monsters said that he was a little stinky!


On Sunday, we left Disney for the day.  It was a little hard for me, but Mark was really looking forward to spending a day at Universal on this trip, and our dear friend Benjamin is very familiar with the park, so he was able to show us around.  We, of course, went through Seuss Island (where I got a t-shirt that says "Teacher of All Things" with the Cat and Things on it) and Harry Potter World.  Harry Potter World was pretty great--it wasn't exactly as I had imagined it when I read the books, but it did not disappoint.  We tried some butter beer...  not something I will be enjoying on a regular basis, but it was pretty great to try it out!



This vacation was originally meant to celebrate our second wedding anniversary, but when Mark was booking the trip, he realized it was close to his birthday, too.  Disney loves to celebrate things with their guests, so naturally, we ended up celebrating both occasions while we were there.  Mark LOVED showing off all of his buttons during the trip.


The best part of our trip for me had to be going on the Keys to the Kingdom tour in Magic Kingdom.  I was a little worried at first that this may kill some of the magic for me, but it really just added more to it.  Our cast member tour guide took us on a five hour tour of Magic Kingdom, taking us backstage, on a few rides to share more history and information about them and even downstairs to the utilidor.  Very exciting for any Disney nerd.


Now, it's time to settle back into the real world--and start thinking about the new school year!  I go back in about six weeks now (I think--it could be five, but I don't want to check the calendar).  Sadly, I do not think we'll be going back to Disney next summer--Mark said if I want to run the Disney Princess Half Marathon in January 2015, I cannot go back until then!

2 comments:

  1. SO jealous... Disneyworld might be my favorite place ever. And don't even get me started on Islands of Adventure, it's an amazing theme park! I'd love to go back... thanks for letting us live vicariously through your pictures. ;)

    --Caitlin
    thekindergarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Disney is my absolute favorite place--my husband may say he's not taking me next summer, but after being there three summers in a row, I cannot imagine not going!

      Delete