Monday, June 17, 2013

we've been stuck together for two years already!?


Today marks our two year wedding anniversary, and what a crazy two years it has been.  I've been a first year teacher twice, we bought a townhouse, we adopted two puppies, and been to Disney World twice.  We're not doing much to celebrate today (that I know of, at least), because we'll really be celebrating the next time we take a Disney vacation.  I'm super excited--my suitcase is waiting not so patiently to be packed.

But to celebrate our anniversary here, I thought I would steal a bit from our old wedding website and share it with you.  Back when we were putting that together, I begged and begged Mark to write about his proposal--because frankly, my version of being shocked and looking at him like he was a crazy person wasn't much of a story to tell.  He finally wrote all about it, and I love going back and reading it on occasion. I never saved it as a document on my computer (I should probably do that...) and who knows how long our wedding website will actually be around, so I thought I would save it here as another precaution.

And now, how Mr. B proposed to Mrs. B.

To fully appreciate the proposal story, you first must know other aspects of Jenny and Mark's relationship...
Back when Mark and Jenny were just "hanging out," they were listening to a song called "Mix Tape" from the Broadway musical Avenue Q.  The song is about a mix tape one character makes for another and lists all of the songs.  Jenny said, "If a boy ever made that mix for me I'd love him forever!" Mark was there and listening...  When Mark worked up the courage to ask Jenny out he made this CD, Jenny said no.  She's a big liar sometimes.  After Mark asked her every Tuesday, she finally gave in on June 4, 2008.
When it came time for Mark to study abroad in France for a semester, much to Jenny's disapproval, he knew he needed a way to comfort her while he was away.  Since he had some success with the mix tape before (hey she eventually said yes, right?) he figured he'd try again.  He put together a collection of 6 CDs, one song for each day he was gone.  This seemed to comfort Jenny during Mark's absence, so kudos to him.  If nothing else it made all of Jenny's female friends jealous.
Fast forward about a year...
Mark schemed and schemed about how to propose to Jenny, he had thought through many elaborate plans to shock, awe, and surprise.  Jenny knew Mark was going to propose at some point and through a good bit of pestering, actually knew when he was going to pick the ring up.  Mark found out he would get  the ring one day early and knowing this was the only day Jenny would be genuinely surprised, he sprang into action.  Once again based on his "success" with mix tapes in the past he put together a very special one with the following songs...
Wouldn't It Be Nice - Beach Boys
I Hope - Annie Get Your Gun
L.O.V.E. - Nat King Cole
Love Me Do - Beatles
You Really Got Me Now - Bon Jovi
Only Wanna Be With You - Hootie & the Blowfish
Under The Sea - Little Mermaid (What? there aren't many U songs)
My Cherie Amor - Stevie Wonder
All My Loving - Beatles
Rock Lobster - The B-52s (Don't judge, it's a great song)
Ring My Bell - Blondie
You're the One That I Want - The Cast of Glee
My Junk - Spring Awakening
Eight Days A Week - Beatles
See the secret message?  Hint: Read the bold letters.  If you didn't see it, don't worry--neither did Jenny, until Mark pointed it out.  
Mark handed the CD to Jenny--it was titled the "Just For Fun Mix Tape," and while she was confused why Mark made this for her, he went down on one knee, pulled out the ring, and popped the question, in the scenic location of Jenny's pink bedroom on January 13, 2010.  Jenny's answer was a deafening silence, broken by Mark's, "I'll take that as a yes?"--followed by hugs and kisses and happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment