Monday, June 24, 2013

these are a few of my favorite things... {getting fit!}

This summer, I'm apparently turning into quite the fan of blog hopping.  One of my favorite ways to find new blogs to read is through linky parties.  While the Five for Friday has been one of my favorites for awhile, I came across one today that I am super pumped to jump into--simply because it's not completely school related and at this point in my summer, I am having a hard time getting anything school related done.

I'm linking up with Across the Hall in 2nd Grade--and while I missed the first two weeks (maybe I'll comment on those topics sometime this summer) and I'm a little late to the ballgame this week, this week's topic is something that is one of my "newer" obsessions and I couldn't pass it up!

Gettin' Fit
It is no secret around this blog that I have been slowly working my way through the Couch to 5k program since the end of March.  I was never a runner.  I played soccer as a kiddo--and quickly found my home was in the goal, and I did gymnastics for quite some time as well.  I remember in high school dreading the day we had to run The Mile in gym class.  My greatest running accomplishment ever was winning the great race at field day in first grade when I was in first grade.  

Fast forward to now, three months after I started the eight week C25K program, I am loving it.  I have one run left.  I ran today even though it was 88 degrees outside.  I'm so excited to share with you what has been getting me really excited about running!

one | two | three | four | five | six

1. Zen Labs C25K Free (available for iPhone and Android) - This is the app I've been working with since March.  I love it.  It tells me when to walk, it tells me when to run, it tells me when to stop...  and I can listen to music at the same time.  Each week, the runs get a little bit harder, and I think "There is no way I am going to be able to do this!" but I can do it.  And it is wonderful.  Like I said--I have one more run until I'm finished--then I think I may move onto Zen Labs 10K trainer.

2. Old Navy Mesh Bubble Tanks - These tanks are great for running in the hot, hot we have going on right now.  I have two!  They are light and breezy, and I don't feel like I'm showing off too much information as I run around the neighborhood.

3. Old Navy Side Mesh Running Shorts - I have RAVED about these shorts before.  They are my favorite.  I have five pairs.  End of story.

4. C9 by Champion Premiere Running Shoes - My school does a Race for Education every year to raise money for some of our bigger projects.  When that came around this year, I realized that the running shoes I had were old.  Like, high school old.  Luckily, I was at Target when I realized this, and I found a pair of C9 shoes on clearance for $8.  And I ended up loving them.  They're holding up great and super comfortable.  I bought this particular pair as my "YAYYY me for surviving the school year!" gift to myself.  I love the new ones, as well.

5. Tune Belt Arm Band for iPhone - I started C25K carrying my phone so I could run the app.  My fingers got a little cold at first, and as it got warmer, my hands got sweaty and it was hard to hold onto it.  I got this guy and love not having to carry my phone anymore.  My phone, with its Otter Box, fits so nicely in here.

6. Disney Music! - This may be my biggest motivator.  I loooooooooooove listening to Disney songs as I run.  I'm still working on the perfect playlist, but some of my favorite songs to run to?  I warm up with "Go the Distance" from Hercules and "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from Mulan.  My two favorite songs for pacing while I run are the theme song from Phineas and Ferb and "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious."  I like to end my run with "A Star is Born" from Hercules.

6 comments:

  1. I think I might just try that app! I pretty much hate running- does it ease you into the program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally eases you in--the first "run" is a five minute warm up walk, then alternates between a minute of running and 90 seconds of walking for twenty minutes and then a five minute cool down walk. It slowly increases how much your running, and every run starts and ends with a five minute walk. Try it! I NEVER would have thought I could do this, but I love it.

      Delete
  2. I love the Old Navy bubble tanks too! I have one in every color. I started running with the C25K about a year and a half ago. I am so not a runner but that app makes running "do-able". I need to get back to using that app!

    Marissa
    WILD About First Grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the tanks fantastic? I'm thinking I may wear them around Disney World simply because they are so light!

      I'm hoping that I don't drop the ball on the running once I finish the app--that's why I'm pretty pumped to start the 10k trainer. Hopefully it motivates me as much as C25k has!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on almost finishing C25K!! Reaching a running goal is the best feeling ever, especially for us who are not natural born runners! I also am a huge fan of ON bubble tanks. I wear them when I run, too!

    Ashley
    That's SO Second Grade!
    www.secondgradeparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I completely agree with loving that goal reaching feeling--that high you get when you finish any run after increasing what you're doing is addicting!

      Delete