Tuesday, November 6, 2012

the election results are in...

What a crazy day in first grade.  We spent the day learning all about Election Day, did our usual math and phonics routines, and even had a fire safety lesson that I may or may not have let slip my mind, and we still somehow pushed through and got everything done.  I had a blast with first grade today--and I think they had a pretty ok time, too.

Makes me feel old--these kiddos won't be able to vote for another 12 years!First thing when the kiddos arrived this morning, I heard little conversations of voting and why were the grown-ups talking about it.  I jumped in right away, and told them that we did not have to worry about the grown-ups and who they voted for because I had a feeling it might start some fights in first grade, and I didn't think it was a good idea for us to fight over something that we had no control over.  First grade agreed with me--win!  We had no arguments of "My mommy voted for this person," "Well, my daddy voted for this person!"--which at my school, was a miracle.

We spent our morning talking about what election day meant--that people were today voting for the President of the United States and other offices.  We discussed how often people vote for President and we calculated as a class when the first Presidential election my first graders would be able to vote in was.  This fantastic chart was the product of those dicussions.  We talked about how important it was for people to research and learn about the candidates before they voted, and how it would be first grade's responsibility when they can vote twelve years from now--and today during our first grade election.

Then, we read three stories--Grace for President, Duck for President, and My Teacher for President.  We used these stories as the basis for our "informed decisions" for our election.  As a class, we created a list for Grace, Duck and Mrs. B--why each would make a good president.  I must admit, that one of the reasons I would make a good president--according to first grade--is because I can do a good cartwheel (WHY didn't anyone ask Mr. Romney or Mr. Obama to do a cartwheel during any of the debates?  That could have potentially made my decision SO MUCH easier...).  Overall, though, they listed things like "Grace worked hard even though she didn't have to," "Duck wasn't bossy," and "Mrs. B is a good listener."  I was impressed.

When it came down to it, each first grader had the chance to go into the "voting booth" I created--a corner of our classroom sectioned off with a sheet hanging from the ceiling.  Inside, was a desk, a stamp pad, a rubber stamper, a stack of ballots and the ballot box.  Each kiddo got to go in to the booth and make the choice in private.  My kiddos made me proud--they did not discuss who voted for who.  They also insisted I cast a vote (they reminded me it was my civic duty...).  Once voting was over, they were SO EXCITED to find out who the President of First Grade would be.  We ran short on time, so I quickly counted ballots while the class packed up.

I didn't get many pictures inside the voting booth...First Grade was NOT letting the media in.

The results of our election were as follows:

Grace - 1
Duck - 1
Mrs. B - 13

One little problem--voter fraud in first grade.  I will admit--I voted for Grace (I didn't feel right voting for me, even if I can do a mean cartwheel...).  BUT...  I only have 13 kids in my class.

1 comment:

  1. this is awesome. you are a fantastic teacher. voter fraud already, hahaha..

    ReplyDelete